Do You Feel Older Than You Look?


Have you ever come across someone who looked much younger than their chronological age? We all did, and we certainly were impressed with it.

The common saying ‘you are as old as you feel’ rings true in the case of 68 years old women Jenny Darren who stunned the audience, and Simon, with her persona and the delivery of the Highway To Hell song Watch Jenny Here and defied the perception of aging. In spite of her white hair and not-so-firm body she exuded youth through her voice and her energy. She was confident and determined to succeed and she did. Not only that she was able to entertain the audience but she made everyone question the age factor and clearly understood that biological age is something we earn, we are in charge of and we can definitely reverse the course. How did she do it, and how can you do it too?

The scientists at NYU found that nearly 30% of aging is dictated by genetics but the remaining balance of 70% is due to a lifestyle. What does this mean to us now that we live so much longer? We can change the way we look and the way we feel because we are in control of it.

Many people associate hormonal fluctuations with teens and women but the truth is that people from all walks of life suffers the consequences of the hormonal roller coasters. But is it inevitable? Is there something you can do to help you body to stay in balance? Yes. There is a lot you can do and let’s begin with focusing on one organ that is responsible for the jumps. It’s the thyroid.

The thyroid is part of the endocrine system that utilizes iodine to produce, store and release into the bloodstream T3 and T4. These hormones regulate various bodily functions such as metabolism, circulation, nervous system and more. In effect the hormonal imbalance affect the body and in turn it impacts the skin.

The fact is that the healthier your lifestyle the less breakouts and stress you experience.

Let’s talk about a balanced and a healthy diet and low sugar diet. From my experience the Mediterranean Diet is the smartest diet. You are not restricted and can eat the healthy fats but focus on low sugar intake. One of my friends who is nutritionist claims that “If the horses can eat grass and be strong and healthy why can’t we?” He proposes a raw food diet by the means of juicing kale and broccoli while adding a fresh fruit and water. Keep it simple he says, there is no need to make it creamy by adding all sorts of possible hormonal disruptors form dairy or sugar from juice concentrates. Make sure to add healthy fats into your diet. Not only it moisturizes the skin but it is a fuel that helps the body work efficiently.

The skin suffers the consequences of a poor diet rich in carbs. Glycation is a natural process in which the sugar from your bloodstream attaches to proteins forming harmful molecules responsible for premature aging. The collagen as you know is made of proteins, the body hormones depend on a normal insulin level. When the stress level raises too frequently it can evoke a cascade of events leading to high blood pressure in addition to acne and wrinkles. That is exactly what I mean by focusing on wellness during my consultation with a client who comes for a skin care consultation or a skin care treatment.

What about the sun exposure and skin aging? Too much sun and unprotected skin will age prematurely and as a result the skin becomes fragile, wrinkles form with visible skin sagging beginning with the jaw line and onto the neck. It’s been said that the longer we wear our skin the more effects the environment has on it. Apply your sunscreen!

As a skin care professional I am happy to say that we’ve come a long way from blaming the skin aging on our hormones and age to reversing the aging process naturally through phototherapy, peels, microdermabrasion and antioxidant rich skin care products. If you haven’t seen our plant based products yet, you can do that here.

Living a healthy lifestyle means a lot of things to a lot of people, some realize that they need to include raw foods into their diet, others need to exercise more and many find that they need to find something they are passionate about, something that makes than happy. Whatever your lifestyle improvement needs are you’ll benefit from knowing that it all start with a positive attitude and a smile!